The Executive Council consists of seven members. The Executive Council is comprised of:
(1) five representatives of the German Consortium (one of each consortium partner, and two of the University of Freiburg as leader of the German Consortium)
(2) two representatives of the University of Ghana
- Albert-Ludwig-University of Freiburg (in particular FRIAS, the Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies and Arnold Bergstraesser Institute)
- Point Sud, Centre for Interdisciplinary African Studies, Goethe-University of Frankfurt
- Representative: Mamadou Diawara
- German Historical Institute
- Representative: Thomas Maissen
- in Hamburg
- Representative: Jann Lay
- The University of Ghana, Legon-Accra (in particular the College of Humanities)
- Members of the Executive Council are appointed by their home institutions for a period of three years. Members may be re-appointed.
The Executive Council is responsible for strategic decision-making with regard to financial and human resources.
Dzodzi Tsikata is the President of the Executive Council of MIASA. She is the Director of the Institute of African Studies at the University of Ghana and Research Professor (Development Sociology) at the University of Ghana.
Andreas Mehler is the Vice-President of the Executive Council of MIASA. He is the Director of the Freiburg-based Arnold Bergstraesser Institute and Full Professor at the University of Freiburg. His research interests include post-conflict power sharing and security beyond the state in Africa.