Abena D. Oduro is an Associate Professor in the Department of Economics, University of Ghana. She holds an MLitt. in Economics from the University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Her main areas of research are poverty and inequality analysis, gender and assets, unpaid care work, international trade policy and WTO issues.
She is the Board Chair and President of the International Association for Feminist Economics (IAFFE).
Areas of Specialisation: Gender and Assets, Poverty Analysis, Inequality Analysis, Unpaid Care Work, International Trade Policy.
Courses Taught: ECON 447 International Economics I, ECON 448 International Economics II, Econ 613 International Economics I, ECONS 614 International Economics II, ECON 708 Advanced International Economics II.
Current Research: Unpaid Care Work, Inequality Analysis
1. Oduro, A. (2019). Sell, borrow, work or migrate? Exploring the choice of coping strategies in Ghana. In Helen Yitah and Helen Lauer (Eds.) Philosophical foundations of the African humanities through postcolonial perspectives. Leiden: Brill Rodopi. Pp.152-170.
2. Doss, Cheryl, R., Deere, C.D., Oduro, Abena D., Swaminathan, Hema, Catanzarite, Z. & Suchitra, J.Y. (2019). Gendered Paths to Asset Accumulation? Savings, Markets and Credit in Developing Countries. Feminist Economics, 25(2):36-66. https://doi.org/10.1080/13545701.2019.1566753
3. Doss, C., Swaminathan, H., Deere, C. D., Suchitra, J.Y., Oduro, A. D. & Boaz, A. (2019). Women, assets and formal savings: A comparative analysis of Ecuador, Ghana and India. Development Policy Review, 38 (2), https://doi.org/10.1111/dpr.12424.
4. Owoo, N.S., Oduro, A.D. & Ackah, C. (2019). Exploring firm performance and growth among own-account and micro enterprises in Ghana. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 38 (3): 294-311.
5. Oduro, A. D. & Doss, C.R. (2018). Changing Patterns of Wealth Distribution: Evidence from Ghana. The Journal of Development Studies, 54 (5):933-948 DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2018.1430769
6. Twumasi Baffour, P., Turkson, F. Ebo, Gyeke-Dako, A., Oduro, A.D. & Abbey, Nii E. (2018). Innovation and employment in manufacturing and services firms in Ghana. Small Business Economics https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-018-0120-7
7. Seshie-Nasser. H. A. & Oduro, Abena D. (2018). Women-owned businesses and household welfare. Journal of Gender and Entrepreneurship, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJGE-01-2018-001.
8. Oduro, Abena D. & Ackah, Charles, G. (2017). Closing the gender gaps in Ghana. In E. Aryeetey & R. Kanbur (Eds.) The economy of Ghana sixty years after indpendence. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
9. Doss, C., Oduro, A.D., Deere, C.D., Swaminathan, H., Baah-Boateng, W. & Suchitra, J.Y. (2017) Assets and shocks: a gendered analysis of Ecuador, Ghana and Karnataka, India. Canadian Journal of Development Studies/Reveu canadienne d’etudes du developpement, 39 (1): 1-18. DOI:10.1080/02255189.2017.1316244.
10. Domfe, G., Ackah, C., Afutu-Kotey, R. L. & Oduro A.D. (2017). Gender perspectives on socioeconomic determinants of ownership of enterprises in Ghana. Journal of Economics and Policy Analysis. 2 (21).
11. Hodey, L.S., Oduro, Abena D. & Senadza, B. (2015). Export diversification and economic growth in Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of African Development, 17 (2): 67-81.
12. Oduro, Abena & Alice Nabalamba (2015). Gender. In M. Ncube & C.L. Lufumpa (Eds.) The Emerging Middle Class in Africa. Abingdon: Routledge.
13. Oduro, A.D. & van Staveren, I. (2015). Engendering Economic Policy in Africa. Feminist Economics. 21 (3): 1-22. DOI: 10.1080/13545701.2015.1059467
14. Oduro, A.D., Carmen Diana Deere & Z. Catanzarite Women’s Wealth and Intimate Partner Violence: Insights from Ecuador and Ghana. (2015). Feminist Economics, 21 (2):1-29. DOI:10.1080/13545701.2014.997774 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13545701.2014.997774
15. Oduro, A.D. (2015). Ownership of the Place of Residence in Ghana: A Gender Analysis. Journal of African Development, 17(1): 17-44.
16. Oduro, A.D. & Boakye-Yiadom, L. (2014). Gender, Migrant Remittances and Asset Acquisition in Ghana. Ghana Social Science Journal, 11(1), 1-25.
17. Oduro, Abena D. & Offei. E. L. (2014). The Incidence of Intra-Industry Trade between Ghana and its Ecowas Trading Partners. In D.K. Twerefour, P. Quartey, L. Boakye-Yiadom & W. Baah-Boateng (Eds.) Readings on Key Economic Issues in Ghana. University of Ghana Readers, Accra: Digibooks.
18. Deere, Carmen Diana, Oduro, A.D., Swaminathan, H. & Doss, C. (2013.) Property Rights and the Gender Distribution of Wealth in Ecuador, Ghana and India. Journal of Economic Inequality, 11(2), 249-265.