Updates on Visa Requirements
COVID-19 VACINNATION: At this moment, in April, Covid-19 vaccination certificate is not longer required to enter Ghana BUT PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINES FOR THEIR REQUIREMENTS.
ATTENTION: Visa-on-arrival: A “visa-on-arrival” means you do not have Ghana embassy or consular services in or near your country and therefore you can be considered for a special arrangement whereby you will receive visa from the immigration authorities when you arrive at the airport in Ghana. Again, only persons or citizens whose countries do not have a Ghana consulate / embassy or authorized representative in a nearby country are qualified for this category. If you qualify, it is very necessary to apply right now--APRIL 30 AS ABSOLUTE DEADLINE-- well ahead of the conference to allow ample time for the processing of immigration protocols.
Procedure for applying for the special visa-on-arrival: You must send a scan copy of the first page (i.e., bio data page with your photo) of your passport to LAC at: firstname.lastname@example.org; or email@example.com BEFORE APRIL 30.
LAC will apply to the Ghana Immigration Office on your behalf (i.e., with your details--Bio data page of conference participant’s passport) for a special clearance and which LAC will send by email to the individual who will then use this as a boarding pass. Caveat: You must be prepared to pay at least a $150 (subject to change) fee on your arrival.
APPLYING FOR THE NORMAL GHANA VISA As we complete the initial tasks pertaining to some of the core elements and procedures associated with the 2023 gathering at the University of Ghana, Legon (Accra) we are pleased to share with you the following items that should both guide and motivate you in your preparations and expectations. The following areas are highly recommended for your immediate attention and these include entry visa, health and safety.
The following links will give you some further details on the Ghana visa situation, including countries that
are exempt from visa requirements:
For further inquiries concerning visa requirements and invitation letters, contact the LAC Chair at either or both of these two E-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com All Conference participants are strongly advised to ensure that they have all the necessary documents before arriving in Ghana.
As a rule of thumb (and as applicable to many other countries) you must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months before you apply for visa.
All visitors entering Ghana must have valid entry visas or, in the case of Commonwealth nationals, entry permits, issued by a Ghana diplomatic mission or consulate abroad or any other visa issuing authority mandated by the Government of Ghana to act on its behalf. Nationals of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)and those of other countries with which the Government of Ghana has specific bilateral agreements, are exempted. Participants from the following countries are exempted from Visa Requirements:
- All ECOWAS Countries; others: Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles,Singapore, St. Vincent and Grenadines, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
- Holders of Diplomatic, Service or Official Passports from some countries are also exempt. Please check from the Ghana Embassy nearest you.
- Often an invitation letter is required and which the LAC (and sometimes a valid national ID of the “host”, and sometimes a second reference is required) will supply on request.
- Copy of Yellow Fever vaccination record. All travellers above nine (9) months old coming into or transiting through Ghana are required to have been vaccinated against Yellow Fever, at least, ten (10) days from the proposed date of travel; and where already vaccinated, provide evidence (certificate), indicating the duration of a vaccination status of not more than ten (10) years before entering Ghana. There may be exceptions. Please check with the relevant embassies.
- You can apply for multiple or single entry/visit. (Fees vary from $60 to $200 and depending whether you are applying for an expedited//premium/express service.) First-time applicants are not eligible for multiple entry.
- Select the TOURIST category on the application form.
- It strongly advised to select EXPRESS/PREMIUM/EXPEDITED service.