The School of Languages and the Language Centre of the College of Humanities, University of Ghana, invite proposals for individual papers, panels and poster sessions for the Second School of Languages Conference (SOLCON II), to be held from 24th - 26th of October, 2017 at the University of Ghana, Legon Campus, Accra. The conference which is on the theme "Proverbs across Cultures: Perspectives from Language, Linguistics and Literature" seeks to bring together researchers, scholars, students, public speakers, and traditional spokes persons to discuss the theme in terms of theory, practice and performance in an intellectually stimulating interdisciplinary setting.
As part of the conference, a colloquium on the theme " Sanitizing public discourse in contemporary societies: The role of proverbs" will be organized.
Proposals addressing one or more of the following subthemes are invited.
- Proverbs and folklore
- Proverbs in modern communication
- Proverbs and translation
- Proverbs in political discourse
- Proverbs across cultures
- Indirections in language
- Proverbs in music
- Sociolinguistics of proverbs
- Proverbs in theatre and the performing arts (performance)
- Proverbs in commerce
- Proverbs in media
- Proverbs in health communication
- Proverbs in language and literature
- Proverbs in sign language
- Gender representation in proverbs
Panels/presenters are however not restricted to the above subthemes and are welcome to present on other related topics in language, literature and cultural studies.
The following formats are available:
- 20 minutes presentation followed by 10 minutes discussion
- 120 minutes panel with four presenters
- Poster presentation
Publication of Selected Papers
Selected papers from the conference will be published in a peer-reviewed volume.