UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS FOR THE 2011 - 2012
It is announced for the information of prospective applicants and the general public that applications for admission to Degree/Diploma Programmes of study at the University of Ghana for the 2011/2012 Academic Year are now open to the following applicants:
1. Certificate in English Proficiency
(For applicants from non-English speaking countries)
2. Diploma Programmes
General Entry Requirements
WASSCE/SSSCE holders who have at least C6 in Core Mathematics, English, Integrated
Science (for Science candidates) or Social Studies (for non-Science candidates) and two elective subjects not below C6. In addition, Science candidates should have at least a grade C6 in Social Studies and non-Science candidates should also have at least a grade C6 in Integrated Science.
Post-Secondary Teachers Certificate
Competitive Entrance Examination:
All candidates applying to Diploma programmes, shall be required to pass a competitive Entrance Examination to be conducted by the University of Ghana on the 30th of April 2011 at 9.00 a.m. Applications for Diploma Programmes must be submitted by Friday April 22, 2011.
The University of Ghana offers the following Diploma programmes on full-time basis:
- Diploma in Dance Studies
- Diploma in General Music
- Diploma in Archives Administration
- Diploma in Librarianship
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Public Administration
The following Diploma Programme is offered through the Distance Education Mode:
Diploma in Youth Development Work
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum requirements:
• Passes in Core English, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science and Social Studies and any two elective subjects at the SSCE or WASSCE.
• Mature Students with age 27 and above
• Holders of diploma/degree certificates may also apply to the program
In addition, an entry examination for all applicants will be conducted at University of Ghana, Legon on April 30, 2011.
Applicants must be persons either employed or engaged in youth development work
3. Degree Programmes
a. WASSCE/SSSCE Applicants
At least credits (C6) in English, Core Mathematics and Integrated Science (for Science candidates) or Social Studies/Life Skills (for non-Science candidates) and three elective subjects in Science for candidates applying to Science or Agriculture related disciplines or three elective subjects in General Arts/Business for candidates applying to non-Science related disciplines. In addition, Science candidates should have at least a grade C6 in Social Studies and non-Science candidates should also have at least a grade C6 in Integrated Science.
BACHELOR'S DEGREE PROGRAMMES
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Science in Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
- Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Science)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Natural Sciences (Programmes offered in the Faculty of Science)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
*Not available at Level 100.
KORLE BU CAMPUS
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Public Health**
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Science in Allied Health Sciences
* Medical Laboratory Sciences
** WASSCE/SSSCE candidates are not eligible to apply.
ACCRA CITY CAMPUS
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science in Administration
DISTANCE EDUCATION PROGRAMME
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science in Administration
b. CANDIDATES IN POSSESSION OF UNIVERSITY OF GHANA DIPLOMAS
Holders of University of Ghana Diplomas with a Final Grade Point Average (FGPA) of 3.25 or better are eligible to apply to the same subject area of study.
4. OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
Other qualifications acceptable for consideration for admission include International Baccalaureate (IB), IGCSE, GCSE, American Grade 13 examinations and other external qualifications which have equivalences to the WASSCE/SSSCE and the GCE (A Levels).
HOW TO APPLY
On-line application E-VOUCHERS can be obtained by Ghanaian applicants for GH¢74.00 at the following banks: Ecobank, HFC Bank, Agricultural Development Bank, UniBank and Fidelity Bank. Ghanaian applicants in the following categories are expected to apply using the E-VOUCHER:
- SSSCE/WASSCE Applicants
- Diploma Applicants
- Diploma to Degree Applicants
Foreign Applicants and Ghanaians Applying from Abroad
Complete and submit the form on-line. Print a proof of submission, add all relevant certificates and send to the address given below with a non-refundable fee of
US$75.00 in International Money Order - Foreign Applicants
GH¢74.00 - Ghanaians Applying from Abroad
Applicants in the West African sub-region should pay the application fee through Ecobank. The original copy of the pay-in slip should be added to the Proof of Submission and other supporting documents.
Please quote your APPLICANT NUMBER on all supporting documents.
Completed documents are to be sent to:
Academic Affairs Directorate
University of Ghana
P. O. Box LG 25
Accra – Ghana
Ghanaians with Foreign Background
Ghanaians with foreign qualifications from Ghanaian schools should follow the application procedure for foreign students stated above. They should however pay the application fee of GH¢74.00 through any Ecobank branch and submit the original copy of the pay-in slip to the above given address together with a copy the other specified documents.
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR ALL APPLICANTS
1. All applications must be submitted ONLINE at http://admission.ug.edu.gh on the purchase of the appropriate e-voucher.
2. All applicants who will be writing WASSCE in May/June 2011 are eligible to apply. Such applicants must indicate their WASSCE index numbers and the subjects they will be writing on their application forms.
3. For all other applicants apart from those who will be writing the GHANA WASSCE in May/June 2011, only results provided by applicants at the time of submission of their applications shall be considered.
4. The programmes at the College of Health Sciences are offered as first choice programmes only. For second and third choices, applicants are strongly advised to choose programmes from the Sciences.
5. Qualified applicants to the Bachelor’s degree programmes on the Legon Campus who are unable to meet the competitive cut-off points determined by the Admissions Board for admission to preferred programmes of study may opt for the fee-paying Scheme. A limited number of places will be available for such applicants and those interested must indicate this option on their application forms.
6. All applicants must indicate whether they wish to be considered for residential facilities or not. While the University of Ghana cannot guarantee residential facilities to all applicants, every effort will be made to assign students to facilities of their choice or suitable arrangements will be made to accommodate them in privately owned hostels.
In all cases, students admitted and assigned rooms MUST pay the relevant Residential Facility User Fee as part of the admission and registration processes. Students who apply for residential facilities and once assigned rooms, are obliged to take up those rooms or forfeit their places at the University.
Applications for Diploma Programmes must be submitted by Friday April 22, 2011.
Diploma to Degree (Nursing Top-up) applicants only must submit applications by
Friday April 22, 2011.
All other applications must be submitted by the deadline of Friday June 3, 2011.