The School of Performing Arts (SPA), University of Ghana, Legon, has the pleasure of inviting all playwrights to a Playwriting Competition to commemorate the School’s 50th Anniversary Celebrations. The winning Play will be performed at the National Theatre of Ghana as part of the SPA@50 Anniversary Productions.
The Play will also be published by The School as part of its 50th Anniversary publications.
1st Prize: A Laptop and cash prize of GH¢5,000.00
2nd Prize: A Laptop and cash prize of GH¢3,000.00
3rd Prize: A Laptop and cash prize of GH¢1,000.00
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE COMPETITION?
This competition is open to writers in senior high and tertiary institutions who are citizens of and resident in Ghana.
- Submissions should be original, unpublished and an unproduced full length plays (approx. 90 mins). Submissions will not be returned.
- Plays must be written in English.
- Plays should reflect issues and challenges with regards to contemporary Ghana.
- The play must have strong literary merit and include the following as much as possible:
- elements of music and dance
- a well-developed plot
- a protagonist who overcomes challenges, or obstacles in a positive way
- engaging characters with whom Ghanaians can identify
- Writers may submit multiple Plays.
Writers are required to submit a soft copy and three (3) bound hard copies of their plays..
Soft copies should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Hard copies with contact information on a cover page, and a self-addressed-stamped, letter-size envelope (for notification after finalists are chosen) should be addressed to:
School of Performing Arts
University of Ghana
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS:
All plays, (both soft and hard copies) should reach the School by August 30, 2012.
The School of Performing Arts, University of Ghana, Legon is not obliged to award any prize if the Judges deem work unsatisfactory.
For additional information please call the following numbers: 0302 500308, 024 3302054