|Universities Denmark Advertisement/ Call for Proposals|| |
ADVERTISEMENT/CALL FOR PROPOSALS
PhD scholarships under the Building Stronger Universities in Developing Countries initiative – Environment & Climate Platform.
The Environment & Climate Platform, a collaborative effort between University of Ghana and universities in Denmark with funding from Danida hereby advertise a number of PhD scholarships.
The Environment & Climate Platform (BSUPEC) is one of four platforms in the initiative “Building Stronger Universities in Developing Countries” (BSU). BSU is a partnership between research and higher education institutions in developing countries and Danish universities. The overall objective of the BSU initiative is to strengthen universities in developing countries to increasingly play a role in the economic, social and political development of the societies in which they are located.
The BSUPEC initially involves partner institutions from Ghana, Tanzania and Denmark. The development objective of the platform is to contribute to informed and improved, sustainable natural resource management and environmental protection considering the needs for sustainable livelihoods, including adaptation and mitigation to climate change – through research capacity building in Ghana and Tanzania.
Based on relevance for environment and climate in Ghana and Tanzania and reflecting the capacities, approaches and expertise within the research area, the BSUPEC has initially identified five academic focus areas: (i) Sustainable land use and management; (ii) Sustainable water use and management; (iii) Climate change. It is envisaged that the focus of BSUPEC at University of Ghana will cover the interaction between climate change and sustinable land and/or water use and management.
The initiative receives core funding from Danida and is co-funded by the participating universities. Read more about the platform on www.environmentandclimate.org .
Only applications from candidates that fulfil the below criteria will be considered:
• An MPhil degree has been completed at the time of application
• Candidate must ordinarily be below 40 years of age at time of application
• Candidate must be a staff member of University of Ghana
• Candidate must not already be enrolled as PhD candidate at University of Ghana or any other university
General conditions of the scholarships
• The candidate will be enrolled at a relevant department/faculty at University of Ghana;
• The candidate will have a principal supervisor from the university of enrolment and a co-supervisor from a relevant Danish university;
• The candidate is obliged to do course work equivalent to half a year of study;
• The scholarships are, when deemed optimal and feasible, implemented as a “sandwich-model”, where the candidate stays up to a maximum of 10 months in Denmark, typically divided in two stays;
• The offered scholarships will have a 3 year duration;
• The candidate will undertake research relevant to one or more of the academic focus areas of the platform;
• Parallel enrolment at a relevant Danish university may be an option, and the candidate will pursue a double PhD degree.
The application form can be downloaded from www.environmentandclimate.org. The application form must be attached with the following appendices:
Annex A. Certified copy of second university degree and transcript; where applicable
Annex B. Brief Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
Annex C. Publication list
Annex D. A sample of own scientific writing (max. 20 pages). In the case of co-authorship, the applicant should indicate his/her contribution
Annex E. A PhD project synopsis of maximum two pages
15 December 2011
Submission of applications
Applications are to be submitted to the Graduate School.
Click on the link to download the PhD Scholarship Application Form
|Date Published: 23/11/2011|